The North Carolina Folklore Journal, a
publication of the North Carolina Folklore Society, first emerged
in 1948 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as
North Carolina Folklore. The Journal did not
immediately establish itself and ceased publication after one
issue. A few years later, however, it re-appeared upon North Carolina's
cultural landscape and has enjoyed a continuous run that started
in 1954 - again at the University of North Carolina at Chapel
From 1966 through 1976, the Journal was published at North Carolina State University. It was during this period (in 1973) that the name changed to North Carolina Folklore Journal.
The Journal then moved to Appalachian State University, where it was published for 20 years, from 1977 through 1997. The Journal's next home was East Carolina University until 2004, when it returned to North Carolina State University until 2005. The Journal moved to Western Carolina University in 2006.
All contents copyright © 2006, North Carolina Folklore Society