Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Graduate Level Alternative Licensure

Click above for information on the MAT and teacher licensure.

These programs are for those who want to become teachers

and have a bachelor's degree in the major of the teaching concentration.



The MAT program was revised effective Fall, 2011.  The Graduate Catalog in effect when you enter the program is the one you use.  If you were in the program prior to the this time, we will work with you to make sure you are not put at a disadvantage. For instance, when you conduct your graduate audit, I will provide documentation to the Graduate School and the Registrar for substitution approvals.  If the audit seems wrong or questionable, let me know asap, or you may end up taking more courses than you need.

Current interns, click here for: MAT Internship Handbook.

Important Notice:

Internship applications are due to the Office of Field Experiences by 5:00 p.m. on the second Friday in September (for Spring internships) and the second Friday in February (for Fall internships) at 5:00 pm.

You have to complete the internship application using Taskstream. If you have not subscribed to Taskstream yet, please register and pay your fee.

Here is some important information about the application process and requirements

University Departments & Divisions

School of Teaching & Learning

SOTL Workshops

Helpful Links

Websites Related to Teaching & Learning

(includes agencies, standards, professional orgs & more)

Differentiation & Modifications

Teaching Ideas & Strategies
Small, Rural Schools & School Consolidation

Technical & University Links

Academic Links - Faculty Pages
Academic Links - Student Pages

My Cat
Office of Alternative Licensure (Formerly NCTeach Office)

Hunter Library
University Writing Center
Student Technology Assistance Center
ITS Help Desk

Required Components for Education Courses




Copyright 2012 Western Carolina University