Required steps for researchers in the psychology department in order to request and obtain IRB approval.
Step 1. Take the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) online course http://www.wcu.edu/6809.asp.
Without CITI training you may not conduct research at WCU. Instructions on how to sign up and do the CITI training are found here http://www.wcu.edu/WebFiles/PDFs/CITI_howtoguide_initialtraining.pdf. PLEASE keep a copy of your completion certificate for YOUR records but do not send it to me. In case the IRB office does not log your training you will have proof but it is not necessary to send it to me.
Step 2. Consult the IRB meeting schedule http://www.wcu.edu/6810.asp
Turn in your application a week in advance. The IRB meets monthly on Mondays and I dedicate FRIDAYS to the review of IRB proposals. It is your responsibility to plan accordingly especially if you think your proposal will require full IRB review. For example, for an IRB meeting on 10/05/09 the deadline for submission is 9/28/09 and it should be turned in to me by 9/25/09. Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Step 3. Fill out a Request for Review of Human Subjects Research. Make sure you:
- FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
- READ and ANSWER ALL (I repeat, ALL) of the questions FULLY and THOROUGHLY on the Request for Review of Human Subjects Research form.
- I will not be familiar with your measures and methods. Moreover, the other members of IRB are not psychologists. Your application must be written in a language accessible to people in other disciplines AND to the member from the community who sits on the IRB.
- DO NOT send me your methods section or refer me to it when answering a question in the Request for Review of Human Subjects Research. I will return your application without comment.
Step 4. Do the IRB submission electronically (i.e. send me your Request for Review of Human Subjects Research and supporting documents via e- mail). After I receive them, there are two scenarios:
- Less likely scenario: Full Board Review. I will notify you of this decision and your proposal will be referred to full IRB for review. After the IRB meeting, you will receive a summary of comments that you must address. Your responses may be required to go back to the full IRB or it may be possible to give them to me. It all depends on the IRB’s decision and individual results will vary. Be prepared for either possibility.
- More likely scenario: Expedited Review. I will make comments on the electronic word document form and return it to you via e-mail. Address the concerns fully and return to me for approval .
Step 5. After receiving final approval turn all documents into a SINGLE PDF that includes
- I will review your proposal one last time and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will copy you on the approval notification and you will be ready to collect data.